DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY
Date of establishment: 1961
- For General Category: 50% marks in aggregate and 55% in History.
- For SC/ST/OBC-A/OBC-B Category:40% Marks in Aggregate or 40% Marks in History.
- For Physically Challenged and For Outstanding Sports Person:50% marks in aggregate and 45% marks in Subject.
Activities conducted by department
- Sukhendu Sarkar from Economics department-“The Great Depression of 1929” on 1st, September 2015 .
- Sonali Chakraborty from Education dept. “Education in Colonial India” on 18th. September 2015
- Dipankar Bhattacharya of Political Science dept.- “Indian National Congress-Nehru era-a trajectory of dwindling legitimacy” on 6th October 2015
- Bijoy Singha of Bengali department- “Bhaktibad Sri Chaitanya and Bengali Literature” scheduled in December 2015.
- Deepa Ghosh of Economics dept., East Calcutta Girls College- “Economy in Colonial India” scheduled in December 2015.
- Students’ seminars are organized every year. Students are divided into small groups and each group is supervised by one teacher; this helps to imbibe the culture of teamwork among them. Students and teachers of other departments also attend the seminar which helps to inculcate the spirit of the interdisciplinary approach
- We organize departmental meetings on a regular basis. Usually after every academic sub-committee meeting, we discuss various issues including
- Academic and syllabi-related issues
- Division of workloads
- Different teaching methods
- Students’ performance
- PARENT TEACHER MEETINGWe arrange at least two parent-teacher meetings for every class in an academic year where we discuss various issues including
- Students’ class attendance and academic performance
- Students’ and parents’ feedback
Events & workshops
- We arrange tours to important sites of historical significance
- Victoria Memorial Museum in 2015 (2nd year honours)
- Jorasanko Thakurbari and Town Hall in 2015 (1st year honours)
- Manabikash Kendra in 2015 (3rd year honours)
- Srirampore College William Carey Museum, Srirampur, Hooghly, West Bengal in January 2016 (1st and 3rd year honours)
Students and teachers of the department regularly participate in different extension programmes. Some of the students of the department have also joined NSS unit which has ben formed in the college and are participating in various programmes conducted by NSS. Students of the department also participated in health and environment awareness programmes