DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT-
1961 (General Course)
2005 (Honours Course, Affiliation under Calcutta University)
For General Category :
60% marks in aggregate and 60% marks in Mathematics/or 60% Marks in Business Mathematics or Economics.
For SC/ST/OBC- A/OBC – B Category:
40% marks in aggregate and 40% marks in Mathematics/Business Mathematics or Economics.
For Physically Challenged & For Outstanding Sports Person :
50% marks in aggregate and 45% marks in Subject Mathematics/Business Mathematics or Economics.
For ECONOMICS Honours :
A candidate shall be allowed to take up Honours in Economics if she has passed in Mathematics at the H.S.Examination (10+2) conducted by West Bengal Council of H.S.Education or its Equivalent examination in Mathematics/Business Mathematics. Students who have passed Business Economics including Business Mathematics in H.S. (10+1) level from West Bengal Council of H.S. Education are also eligible for admission in the Honours Course in Economics.
- Success Rate in Honours is very high (Almost 100% every year)
- Progression to Higher Education is remarkable.
- Departmental Alumni have been enjoying high job profile throughout India. They are occupying prestigious positions in various Educational Institutions, Banking Sectors, Research fields as well as rendering their services in NGOs.
- One Ex-student was awarded ‘Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship’ for pursuing M.Phil programme.
ACTIVITIES CONDUCTED BY THE DEPARTMENT–
- Departmental Fresher’s Welcome and Farewell to Passed-out students are organized every year
- Students’ Seminars are organized every year
- Departmental Seminar on ‘Trade and Environment: Some General Issues’ was conducted on 5th May, 2015. Speaker: Dr. Anindita Sen, Associate Professor , Department of Economics, University of Calcutta
- A Two-day Workshop on ‘Application of Statistical Techniques in Research Methodology of Social Sciences” was organised by the Department of Economics in association with IQAC on 28th and 29th July,2016. Resource Person: Dr. Arindom Chakrabarty, Assistant Professor, Department of Statistics, Visva-Bharati University.
- The Inter-disciplinary Lectures have been arranged.
- Departmental Journal ‘ECO-LENS’ has been published.
- Wall Magazines have been prepared by Students.
- Parents -Teachers Meetings are held every year at regular intervals
- Departmental Excursions was held last year
Events and Workshops:
- Departmental students actively participated in a Quiz Competition organized by Department of Geography and won the prize
- Students as well as Faculty Members of Department of Economics, Sivanath Sastri College took part in paper presentation and Extempore Speech Contest in the Inter South Calcutta City Colleges Cultural and Academic Fest ‘JASHN’ held in January,2015
- Students of Department also participated in an Inter College Debate Competition on the Issue of Globalization and also in music competition organized by Cultural Subcommittee of Sivanath Sastri College